Thursday, July 30, 2009

Good Ballerina Gone Bad

I did a shoot a few months ago with Jyllian (Photographer) and finally got my cd from her during the weekend. I really enjoyed working on this shoot. It is probably one of the most fun shoots I've ever done.

The Concept:
Jyllian came to me with this concept that she had - "Good Ballerina Gone Bad". She wanted to capture a dreamy, organic, whimsical feeling through the images. Which would be the good ballerina. This concept was shot in the morning time for natural light. The good ballerina concept is then contrast with an edgy ballerina look which is dark and mysterious. This would be the bad ballerina. This concept was shot at night.

The Shoot:
We shot this all in one day. I did my own hair and make-up for both sessions. Both Jyll and I worked together leading towards the shoot on wardrobe. Since the first part of the shoot was to be shot in the morning in natural light outdoors, the weather was paramount. We were really worried about the weather. But it turned out great! ^_^

The Good Ballerina Concept:
We met early in the morning and headed off to our first location. It was just a little piece of land covered in tall grass by the side of the road. People who were driving were stopping and trying to catch a glimpse. Must've been weird seeing someone dressed in a white tutu dancing about amongst the grass LOL.

I look so serious here haha






Different color version ^_^



After shooting at this location for sometime, we headed off to our second location at Nakagusuku Castle for the rest of our shoot.


Each image reminded me of a dream as I would frolic through the grassy fields. I was in another world...all dreamy...embracing nature, my surroundings and my character...





We tried the 'blow the dandelion into the wind' concept that you always see in photos and movies LOL gosh it is much harder to capture than they make it. They always make it look sooo easy...but we tried for sometime...didn't really work haha

It was so hard standing on this tree...it was sooo slippery and I kept slipping down.


We finished shooting the first session by the afternoon and I headed home to rest and get ready for the second session in the evening.

The Bad Ballerina Concept:
I went over to Jyll's house to shoot the second session. We started off in her living room.






Black & White version

After that we headed outside her house to a back street by her house and finished the rest of the shoot there on the street.





I love this shot. It's so cool! The light is actually coming from the headlights of a passing car.


Jyll and I both agreed that it brought back memories of when we were young wanting to be ballerinas. I definitely enjoyed playing one for the day! ^_^

For more info on Jyllian and her work check out her website:

4 comments:

Chih Chin :D said...

I love it! Was this in Japan?? :D

Unknown said...

very artistic!! Nice shotS!!

Deb said...

Yeah chih this was in Okinawa, Japan ^_^

Thanks Squido Hun I'm glad that you enjoyed them ^_^

keschen said...

awesome shoot! you are gorgeous!!

xoxo

Casio watch giveaway..check it out!
http://raindropsofred.blogspot.com/2011/08/get-your-swag-on-giveaway.html