Friday, January 18, 2008

Seijin No Hi - Coming of Age

Every year on the second Monday in January, young adults celebrate the coming of age. Turning 20 in Japan is important like turning 21 in the US and turning 18 in Australia, it signifies a new era of rights and responsibilites - adulthood. In Japan, turning 20 means legally becoming an adult in the eyes of the law thus being able to vote, drink, smoke and even marry without their parents' consent.


The day starts off early with girls getting ready with hair appointments and getting dressed in their furisode kimono. For many young adults this celebration marks the first time they "officially" wear traditional adult clothing. The first part of the day is usually the more formal public ceremonies followed by private parties or celebration at restuarants.


Unfortunately this year, I forgot about seijin no hi so I missed seeing the young adults all gathered at the city hall. I would have loved to see the girls all dressed up in their pretty kimono and hairstyles... I was lucky though as we were waiting to see 'National Treasure' at the movies a group of young guys were roaming around American Village celebrating and cheering. It was quite a spectacular sight watching them cheer and all dressed up in the traditional hakama. Unfortunately I didn't get to take pictures but lucky enough I managed to have this one pic with the boys. Maybe next year I'll get to see the girls in their kimono ^_^




Before heading off to the movies Reid took me to this really nice little burger place by the beach - Sea Side Jet City Burger's. I loved it there. The atmosphere and ambience was really nice especially sitting out doors facing the ocean... Really gives the whole tropical island sort of feel. Nice place to just chill.



I had the Hawaiian Burger set. It was sooooooo good!! I finished the whole set on my own ^_^. Portion size is perfect for me. Not too big and not too small. However for the guys or people who are really hungry the portion size may not make you 100% full however it'll be enough to satisfy your hunger. Also I think this is a great little place to go on a first date hehehe...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwww my tummy is going rawR from those burgers >.<